The Gift of Forgiveness: The Story of Maynard and His "Friends"

June 14, 2020


Image Credits: unsplash.com

June 5, 2020 will always hold a special place in my heart. On this day, my childhood dream of becoming a published author became a reality. The first copies of Psychology of Love, Money, & Life (#plmlbook) will be shipped in July 2020. Words cannot describe the amount of pride I carried as I glossed over the fragrant pages of my paperback. Just when I thought that things will not get more exciting than this, I finished my second book during a global pandemic. 

I never thought that I would write the "True Stories of Forgiveness" while trapped in my own home due to the bounds of quarantine. Amidst the fear that brewed around me, I was inspired to create an art piece that focuses on the brighter side of life. While crafting this book, I had the pleasure of peeking inside the lives of several people. They were brave enough to share their stories of acceptance and letting go. One thing is for sure - forgiveness is subjective. It is a process of confusion, pain, anger, judgment and so much more. These intense process will ultimately lead to self-improvement and inner peace. Those are the elements we seek, after all. 
I may have completed my book, but a couple of people were still willing to share their stories. Maynard's story is one of them. At first sight, I thought Maynard (not his real name) was an eccentric person who was overly eager to start a new phase of his life. Little did I know that we will become friends.

The following story was written through his lenses: 

“A single rose can be my garden…a single friend, my world.”
 – Leo Buscaglia

As intoxicating as the a rose to an enchanted garden, a friendship is something beautiful that I hold to the highest regard. There came a point in my life where my world revolved around my friends. Everything was perfect. Although the happiness I shared with these people were shallow, it stamped a substantial impact in my life. 

A vast collection of endless memories kept accumulating until the current of high seas carried this "perfectly friendly world" towards a cold November. Reality hit me. My so-called friends betrayed my trust. They singled me out and left me. I never felt so alone. My perfect world was corrupted by the acts of two close friends whom I considered as my soul brothers. I remembered the ball of rage that I harbored throughout the years. 

I knew that I screwed up. I realized that I forcefully drew my happiness from these shallow friendships. I masked my loneliness by being surrounded by these people. I equated my identity through the friendships I cultivated. I deeply believed that my salvation rested in the hands of my friends. 

I was wrong!

"I think if I've learned anything about friendship, it's to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don't walk away, don't be distracted, don't be too busy or tired, don't take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff."
-Jon Katz
I cannot continue living on unstable grounds. People will always have the ability to hurt me. This was when I realized that I have to establish a firm foundation through my faith. Let it be known that my friends are not my saviors. Jesus is!

Through this new revelation, I was able to forgive the people who wronged me. I knew that our paths were meant to cross in order for me to learn valuable lessons. I am able to love from a distance by acknowledging that separation was the spiritual health that my previous friendships needed. 

It is when you start the journey of forgiveness and acceptance that you will realize - you are not only forgiving others, but you are also freeing yourself. Who am I to forsake them for their mistakes? Knowing that I am guided by my faith helped me to lift the weight of the healing process.

Image Credits: Anna Agoncillo & Andre Villar

May Maynard's story inspire you to lead a life free from resentment and the baggage of the past. If you want to read more inspiring stories like this, you may buy the upcoming book called "True Stories of Forgiveness". It will be released on November 2020. For the meantime, you may pre-order the #plmlbook through contacting subscribetomp@gmail.com.


Subscribe to Miss Psychobabble now!

 or like it on Facebook to receive free updates.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

What is on your mind? I will get back to you as soon as possible! Thank you. :)

Like MP on Facebook