How An Anxiety Attack Changed My View On Life

May 05, 2018


Click the title to read more. Visit Ask Anna Page to find out how to ask!

Image Credits: pixabay.com
LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB


I heard my heart pound as fast as it could! It was as if horses want to escape out of my chest. I was getting dizzier as time passed. Not to mention, I was sweating profusely. Every hair on my body went up! I knew I needed a break. My body's alarm system craved my attention.

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

I am happy to walk you through the beginning. From a young age, my parents and my resources have blessed with the academic skills to do well in school. I was consistently in the "higher level classes" and have been in the honor roll. I finished with undergraduate degree when I was 19 and earned Second-class honours (i.e., 2i or Magna cum laude). Soon after, I fulfilled my childhood dream by becoming an author. Few years down the road, I had set my mind to a distinct career path. I was offered a coveted promotion that people typically receive at the height of their careers.

By merely reading the above paragraph, you will get a grasp of how seemingly fast-paced my life is. Imagine my initial reaction!

THE TURNING POINT

I have to admit! I experienced burnout weeks before I was given the news of advancement. My mind was overwhelmed by the greater responsibilities that I foresaw. I had an anxiety attack. The naysayers that surround me did not help my situation. I began to listen to them. I perceived myself in a harsh manner.

Do not worry! This story does not end here.

Several factors led me to the realization that I do not want to be stuck in this unpleasant circumstance. Aiming to achieve more shall never be a hindrance to success. I needed a serious internal overhaul. So, I started exhausting my efforts to positive decisions that will make me a better person.

Here are just some of the steps that I took:

1. A wise woman once told me that "maturity comes with acceptance". I accepted my current emotional state. As much as we want to think that we are indestructible, we are not! People will experience burnout at some point of their lives. What matters is how you handle it.

2. I surrounded myself with supportive people who saw my strengths and potentials. Friends, co-workers, family members, and my significant other were there to help me uncover my authentic self.

3. Acceptance that some things are beyond your control is vital too. It led me to practicing the "art of letting go". Take a deep breathe. It gets better!

4. I saw the positive benefits of asking for help. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. In fact, it shows how aware you are of your limits and bounds. Furthermore, you are welcoming other people's opinions.

5. Lastly, I learned how to deal with naysayers. They are there for a reason. I see them as beings waiting for their own spotlights to shine. Rather than retaliating, it is better to treat them with graciousness. Turn the other cheek!


Image Credits: pixabay.com
NEW AND IMPROVED

I learned that it is alright to fall short at times. I do not need to be perfect or to overachieve all the time. Neither do you! No matter how perfect people may seem on social media, they never are. Realize that your self-worth does not depend on your grades, career, net worth, and other societal pressures.

Please know that it is never too late for an internal overhaul! Embrace your weaknesses and transform them into your strengths.

With a braver heart and a stronger mind, I am ready for anything that life will throw at me. I know that there will be more obstacles along the way but, I am eager to conquer each one.

A robust support system and a healthier frame of mind enables me to tell you that I have never been better! ❤︎

Subscribe to Miss Psychobabble now!


 or like it on Facebook to receive free updates.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

What is on your mind? I will get back to you as soon as possible! Thank you. :)

Like MP on Facebook